pottery barn to my rescue!

>> Saturday, January 3, 2009

A few years ago, I moved the family to a much larger home.  I realized in addition to furnishing the home that I would need to also (gasp!) decorate.  


This would be some feat, given I'm the one who thought the southwestern theme was here to stay in the Midwest.  Oh, yeah, I had the light green walls, the diamond loop rug and the lizards and cowboy paraphernalia everywhere.  I even hung things only where there were existing nail holes.  How clever!  I allowed people to see this disaster, a lot.

Knowing what people would expect, I set my goals low.  I vowed to take things slow and deliberate and use catalogs as my guide-even if I couldn't afford what they sold. 

I began obsessively studying the Pottery Barn catalog.  This led to their website where I signed up for emails, including invitations to their decorating classes.  Did I mention the classes are free??!!

I began going to the monthly classes and took notes, like it was a real class.  (They give free paint sample books at their stores, too.)  Although I currently cannot afford to buy everything I want, I am not above buying knockoffs at Walmart, Target or even garage sales.

This has helped me immensely with my new home.  People try to hide their shock when they come over for the first time.  

I think they were expecting cactus lamps.

Link:http://www.potterybarn.com/content/shop/storeevent/index.cfm


1 comments:

Sheila February 5, 2009 at 6:59 PM  

This is the only way. I have learned the hard way that impulse buying is, more often than not,a waste of money. Buying knockoffs is only satisfying for a short time, and you could have put that money toward the 'real' thing. Now I tell myself,if it is worth having, it is worth waiting for.