$25 gift card-best bargain of 2008 contest

>> Thursday, January 1, 2009


This new year-2009- is one in which I have high hopes.  We will have a new president and hopefully a much improved economy.  I have just been watching recaps of 2008 on TV and the recurring theme in each one is dismal economic figures.  From the housing market to unemployment to the stock market crashes, 2008 was pretty bleak.

It got me thinking, though, about how consumers managed to survive.  I have heard sales were actually up at Walmart and Amazon had a really good holiday season.  So, it seems many people have been forced to reassess their spending.  Last year may well have been the catalyst in getting more people than ever to search, compare and ultimately buy things at bargain prices.

I thought about this more as I exited Walgreen's today with savings of more than 77% off regular retail prices.  I tried to think if this beat any previous deals I had gotten in 2008.  I know I got 50% off furniture this summer from an office supply store, but does that trump my Walgreen's bargain?

It's hard to sort the deals using a fixed percent off or dollar off regular retail price.  I have heard of people getting 33% off electronics at Amazon but is that better than, say, 50% off a new pic frame?

I have decided I can't be the one to judge the greatest deal here at all--too much work.  But what I can do is open it up to readers to decide.  After all, the sum of all of you is much smarter than the one of me, right?

Contest

To put this to the test, I have developed a contest.  Since it is my first contest or giveaway, please be patient (and gentle) with me.  The reader who comments with the best deal of 2008 will win a $25 gift card to Walmart in true bargain fashion.  Items must be BRAND NEW.  

Further Contest rules:

  • To enter, please comment below
  • Include the date of your purchase (must be during 2008) and retail establishment where purchase was made
  • Include the original, regular retail price and the price you paid
  • eBay and other online auction purchases are fine
  • Coupons, percents off, etc. are all fair game
  • I reserve the right to ask for proof of purchase
Have more than one bargain to enter?  No problem, you can enter up to an additional 4 times by:

  • Submitting this contest to a contest listing site.  Please leave the URL in your entry/comment
  • Stumble or Digg this post and leave your ID in your entry/comment
  • Blog about this contest and link back to this article.  Leave the URL in your entry/comment
  • Subscribe to my blog and please activate it


The contest closes on January 15 at 11:59 pm.  On January 16,  I will write another post in which readers will vote by comment for who they feel had the best bargain of 2008.  Voting will go from January 16 post time to 11:59pm on January 23, 2009.  The winner will be announced on January 24, 2009, along with a summary of some of the more interesting bargains.

Hopefully together, we can remember 2008 as the Year of the Bargain instead of the year of the sucky economy.

1 comments:

Sheila January 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

Hi, me again..!
I'm not entering your contest since I don't live in the USA and the card would probably not be honoured here.
I've noticed when visiting the States that your retail prices are not only often much lower than ours for the same item, but you are given unbelievable deals. Last Fall we were in S.Carolina, and visited a Tan*ger outlet. We bought brand name clothing at excellent prices, sometimes at 1/10th of what we pay here.
With that in mind my deal will seem so-so but I was more than a little pleased with it.
We have a store called Can*adian Tire, usually selling hardware,household goods, small electrical appliances, car parts and accessories, and plants and gardening stuff in the Summer. (That month we get between Winter and Winter) At Christmas they sell toys and perhaps with the economy being as it is they seemed to have a good sale at the end of November.
Sorry this is a long post...
;o)
2 x Polly Pocket Jumbo Gift sets regular price $49.72 each, I paid $39.94 for both.
2 x Meg*a Block*s Dora/Diego gift sets regular price $59.99, I paid $47.98 for both.
1 x Little Crocodile piano (Brand name I can't recall) regular price $39.99 I paid $27.99.
Total with tax ($15.07) was $130.73
a saving of $144.04.
You don't have to post this, just thought I'd share..