sweet smells

>> Monday, February 23, 2009

I have to admit to having a certain sensitivity to odors.  I can detect a bad odor from a mile away and am especially adverse to bad breath and bathroom odors.  


I am actually a little proud of my ability to detect cigarette smoke from another driver from inside my car.

This freakish sense of smell actually served me well when I began a quest for a steady perfume.  I was in my 20's and had experimented with everything from Jean Nate and Loves Baby Soft to Liz Claiborne and Musk Oil.

I was working in a retail store and on my way to my area I would pass the cosmetics department.  One day, I passed a most lovely odor.  It was sweet, but not obnoxious.  An interesting sweetness.  A scent that actually haunted me.  I passed by again on my way to break.  The scent stopped me and I asked to see what it was.  It was something called Tresor.  It was a new perfume.  It was also EXPENSIVE.  The girl gave me a scented petal to take as a sample.

I left work that day and drove home.  I had the petal in my coat pocket.  I went into the house and put my coat in the closet.  I went up to get ready for bed and returned down for a snack.  The smell from that petal hit me like a ton of bricks.  I took the petal out of the coat in the closet and put it in my bedroom.

The next day when I got in my car, I again smelled the scent.  I was hooked.  I saved up for literally months and finally got my Tresor.  20 years later, I have never turned back.  I have become one of those old ladies who always used their "special scent" until they died.

I will also die with this perfume.   Is there any perfume you would die with?  Please comment about it, I'd love to hear your story.


 

1 comments:

Sheila February 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

Christian Dior's Miss Dior. Others may come and go, but I always have a bottle of this. It makes me feel happy, and care free. It's fragrance takes me back to a vacation in England with my late mother, when I wore it everyday. When I'm feeling down, I spritz it on and suddenly all's well with the world.
I always wear perfume, and don't feel dressed until it's on.