tea tree oil counter spray

>> Wednesday, February 25, 2009


R StanekTea Tree

I am a greenie, or at least I try to be. I make all my own cleaners. I use organic essential tea tree oil for my counter spray. The Australians have shown it to have disinfecting properties. Here is my recipe:

  • 16 ounces of tap water or distilled water if you have hard water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons of dish washing liquid. (I use a naturally derived one)
  • 25-30 drops of organic essential tea tree oil

Now be advised that I add the ingredients in the order they are listed above, otherwise the soap will bubble up and overflow before all the water is added.

For this cleaner, I use a spray bottle I had laying around for when I needed to mist my plants. Since my plants all died, I obviously didn't use the mister very much. I do not recommend you wash out a plastic spray bottle from a store bought cleaner. Do so at your own risk as residue can and will remain from the original cleaner.

I usually buy one 1.66 fl. oz. bottle of Aura Cacia Organic Essential Tea Tree Oil which lasts me almost a year! I don't have an exact number on what I have saved by making my own cleaners, but I estimate it saves me at least $75-$100 per year. Plus it's nice to know I have reduced my carbon footprint by only using one spray bottle over the last 5 years!

Tea tree oil has a distinctive odor that many people like, but some don't. It has been described as medicinal, but I just smell "clean".

Please comment back with any other green cleaning tips!





0 comments: