facebook flirting

>> Sunday, March 22, 2009

yes, I caved to peer pressure and joined Facebook.


I had many concerns: security and privacy (of course), fear of not having many "friends", fear of being bothered by people who bug me and fear of over committing myself.

So, I learned about the security settings.  (You can even block people!)  I learned how to set things so only my peeps can see old, fat pics of me.  And I found I had friends!  Many friends!  Old, childhood friends, church friends, high school friends and even former workplace friends.

I also found I can keep in touch with the vast majority of them right on Facebook, when I have time.

The thing I didn't plan for was the friends of friends who I happened to have been once involved with, or wished I had been involved with or just knew in a different time.  A category I like to call: The Might Have Been's.

Now there are not many MHB's in my life. Just enough, though that they seem to be spread out among all my old and new friends.

And the MHB's are a friendly, joking group.  However, some have been a little too friendly, even bordering on flirtation.  I have even asked around (in real life) if there is a written policy on flirting I might peruse.  You see, I have not been hit on or flirted with in MANY years and frankly, I don't know how to handle this.

The answer I got back from one friend, via a text message, was: "Here is the policy: NO FLIRTING!".

Oh.  OK.  So how do I handle it when someone ELSE is, oh I don't know, talking about childhood crushes and being in town for the week???

So far, I have handled it the way I handle any tough problems in my life, I ignore them for awhile, then post about them.

If anyone else has any ideas on how to handle Facebook or any other kind of flirting, please comment.  I'd love to hear some ideas on how to handle this without alienating anyone, or worse, embarrassing myself!
 

0 comments: