female role models, do you know of any?

>> Tuesday, March 17, 2009




Uploaded by Army.mil on 14 Nov 08, 11.53AM PDT.



Recently, I spoke to a few young girls I know and the topic of women uniting came up. We talked about how we all have to stick together.

I brought up examples of how women still haven't achieved equality, including the fact that there isn't a National Holiday in the US honoring a woman.

  • In January, we have Dr. Martin Luther King Day. A great day to celebrate the civil rights we have and acknowledge our present (and numerous) shortcomings. Dr.King is one of my personal heroes, but he isn't a woman.
  • In February, we have President's Day. Since we haven't had a female president yet, this isn't what I am looking for.
  • In March, we have Casimir Pulaski day. Yep, he's a he.
  • In April, there is Easter. And guess what? Even the Easter bunny is a he. Who decided that? I mean after all he's delivering eggs which must have come from a female at some point...
  • In May there is Memorial Day. This holiday actually honors women, too, but it's not just about a great woman. In May we also have Mother's Day and let's face it, it's a little Card Holiday-ish at this point (but thanks honey, anyway!).
  • In June, we have Father's Day, which is a male Card Holiday. (And also a necktie Holiday.)
  • In July we have Independence Day,which is more of celebration of a concept than a person.
  • In August, I can't think of anything.
  • In September, the girls said, we have a Holiday honoring women. Really? I asked, which one? Labor Day, they told me. Very funny. Though I believe some of Labor Day had to do with women's work, it's not exclusive.
  • In October, there is Columbus Day. A great explorer sent by a queen, but the holiday is in his name, not hers.
  • In November, there is Veteran's Day, which does now also honor women, but again not exclusive to any one woman.
  • Then we have December and everyone knows Jesus was a man, so...


Uploaded by mikebaird on 23 May 09, 3.59PM PDT.



I thought then that these girls and I all might try to come up with a woman after whom we should name a holiday. We sat and thought about it. Hillary came up. Michelle came up. Even Madeleine Albright and Nancy Pelosi came up. OK, the last two were my suggestion.

We thought of Rosa Parks, and Harriet Tubman and Gloria Steinem. Then of course someone brought up Faith Hill, Barbara Walters and Oprah. But sadly enough, there wasn't one woman out there that seemed to have accomplished enough to get herself a holiday.


Uploaded by ego technique. on 13 Feb 09, 5.56PM PDT.



At this point, I was so ashamed I couldn't think of one woman who should get a Holiday out of the many, many woman who have contributed immensely to our progress.

I need some help here because I am really disgusted with myself. PLEASE comment in on who you think deserves a holiday and forgive me for failing on this.

3 comments:

Sheila March 20, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

Margaret Sanger, Helen Keller, Eleanor Roosevelt, Pearl Buck, Margaret Mead, Rachel Carson, Wilma Rudolph, Babe Didrikson,Jeannette Rankin,(first female member of Congress), Shirley Chisholm, Toni Morrison?
Most of these were not off the top of my head, but food for thought none the less.

Anonymous March 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

I think Jeannette Rankin deserves something. She was hugely inspirational.

There's a great new movie about her called A Single Woman.
http://www.asinglewomanmovie.com/dvd

Anonymous April 1, 2009 at 10:18 PM  

How about Wilma Mankiller, who was a female Chief of the Cherokee Nation? That would satisfy honouring the most oppressed people on Earth, the First Americans as well as females. It's sad that First Americans don't get a national holiday & did not get the right to vote in the U.S. until 1924, well after blacks & women. But the man who nearly genocided them is on the $20 bill.