what everyone ought to know about Borax

>> Friday, May 8, 2009


I love using non-toxic ingredients for cleaning, especially when I can get a lot of bang for my buck and find one item that has many uses.

Borax is an especially great product that really multi-tasks around the house.  It's available in most Mart stores in the laundry aisle.
  1. Borax, as is, is a great scouring powder for counters, fiberglass, sinks or bathtubs.  Just sprinkle and turn a wet sponge into a cleaning machine.
  2. Diaper Pail-yuck!  Just dissolve some borax in hot water and swish around the pail.  That dirty baby butt smell will disappear faster than you can say your nontoxic life.
  3. Eau de toilette or "eww your toilet"?  Put some directly in the bowl and scrub.  Leave it overnight or just until the next "flush". I swear your bowl will sparkle as much as a toilet bowl can.
  4. Laundry Booster- just add some to your dirtiest, stinkiest (think husband's socks) laundry along with your detergent. It is also gentle enough for your lingerie and delicates. 
  5. Mold and Mildew. I HATE this stuff. Dissolve some Borax in HOT water. Let cool and use as a great alternative to bleach for the mold in your shower or on your basement walls.   Remember to rinse off walls or you may notice a little sparkley white residue when it dries.
  6. Ant Killer!  This works great on those HUGE black carpenter ants, which really freak me out.  I have had problems with them in two houses now.  Maybe they followed me. Anyhoo, use table sugar and Borax, in a 1:2 ratio and sprinkle where the ants are currently.  Then sprinkle OUTSIDE where you think they are getting in.
  7. Odor Neutralizer.  Let's face it.  Life stinks sometimes, especially if you live with children who still wet the bed (yes, kids, mommy sold you out on that).  Using Borax dissolved in water can help get the urine smell off of plastic mattress covers. 
I'd love to hear other uses for Borax to add to my list.  (Again with the even numbers thing).  Please comment and I'll add your tip with some link love.  

3 comments:

Sheila May 8, 2009 at 6:55 AM  

I've never used borax so I can't add to your list. I will try of suggestion for ants though.

Ronnica May 8, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

I knew Borax was good for laundry, but I've never used it. Maybe I need to pick some up!

Maggie Madison May 8, 2009 at 3:48 PM  

@Sheila-it worked fairly quick on my big carpenter ants, but took a little longer with the smaller ants in my house. Good Luck! Let me know how it works out. Thanks for commenting!
@Ronnica-it's a great thing to have around "just in case" you need it. Thanks for commenting!