what I want for Mother's Day

>> Saturday, May 9, 2009

I knew when we began trying to get pregnant that I was giving up some control.  I couldn't control when or even if I would get pregnant.  


Once I was pregnant, I gave up more control over pregnancy symptoms and how healthy the baby in my belly was.  I also gave up control over my ever changing body.

Then there was labor and delivery--talk about loss of control!  I had none.  Absolutely none.  I couldn't control the pain, how long labor would last, and most importantly if the baby would be born healthy.

Fortunately, I got lucky on all those counts, but it was still not in my control.

Now I have children  and I can't control what they say, what they do or how they will grow up.   The control has slipped and slipped until I find myself living each day clueless about what to expect.

So, for Mother's Day, here is what I want: to be in charge of everything else.

I want the Transportation people to check with me, "Can we tear up this road?"  The answer is no, not today.

I want the Weather to check with me, "Can I rain now?"  The answer is yes, for a little while and NOT HARD.

I want my Sleep to ask, "What kind of night do you want?"  The answer is extremely restful.

I want my Grocer to ask for my input before stocking produce: "What kind of fruit would you like today?"  The answer is honeydew melon, mango and REAL tomatoes.

I would like the Mosquitoes to ask,"Can we come out now?"   The answer is hell, no.

Finally, I would just like Noise to ask, "What kind do you want?"  The answer is laughter and a little reggae on the side.

That's all I want for Mother's Day: good customer service from the universe.

Am I asking too much?

2 comments:

Sheila May 10, 2009 at 12:59 PM  

LOL..
I hope the universe is listening and you have a great Mother's Day..!

Maggie Madison May 10, 2009 at 1:50 PM  

Happy Mother's Day, Sheila!