Are People Watching Me Be Toxic?

>> Thursday, August 2, 2007

Recently, I was out at the mall and I noticed several security cameras. I wasn't surprised to see them. I used to work in a situation in which we were under surveillance much of the time. In the beginning, I was nervous, I mean, what if I picked my nose or something?

I got used to it and eventually, I realized that there was a chance I could always be under surveillance, even when I saw no camera. But what did I have to worry about if I did nothing wrong and kept my finger out of my nose?

I have heard people complain about the cameras. I know they are now on street corners in some towns. I know if I run a red light, my picture will be taken. If I don't pay the toll on a tollway, my license plates will be photographed. The question is: has it gone too far? Does this violate our right to privacy? Is this toxic to our sense of self?

I think that we need to let some of the worry go. If we are not doing anything wrong, we shouldn't have anything to worry about. However, we also need to let go of the some of the embarrassment of others seeing us do things, like, well pick our noses.

The things we do that we would be embarrassed about are not unique. Here's a secret: everyone does those things, too. Everyone. If we can let go of some of the shame and embarrassment involved in just being ourselves, we'd be a lot better off. And a lot less toxic.






2 comments:

Morton Horton August 5, 2007 at 2:45 PM  

Soon there will be sky cams enough to dedicate one to each citizen. Then our every move will be recorded and analyzed to determine if there is risk or misbehavior in our actions, evil in our intent. Even our innocent movements might prove to be our undoing based on accumulation of past activities. You won't dare to pick your nose then, even behind the garage, say, or under a hedge.

Maggie Madison August 7, 2007 at 8:44 AM  

In that case, I hope I will have the confidence to go right ahead and pick a winner.