are men being phased out?

>> Saturday, March 7, 2009

I know this seems a little far fetched, but bear with me here.


I was watching an episode of Bones on TV the other night.  In this particular episode, a female character was discussing how she used to date another female.  A male detective was trying to understand this as the woman had just broken off an engagement with a male.  The female scientist, Bones, said, "Woman aren't as confined with their sexuality."

This got me thinking about all those times I've sat around with my female friends and we've discussed how we need more help managing our lives.  We need cleaning ladies, personal assistants, cooks and more emotional support.  In essence, we decided, we need WIVES.

After watching the TV show, I thought about needing a wife myself.  Someone to do the laundry, run children to various events, someone who can cook a low-fat dinner and someone who can let me vent about dramatic people without trying to solve anything.  I do think this fits the job description of many wives, don't you?

Which got me thinking: if women could do all this themselves, will men become obsolete?

I mean, really, I like men just fine (I am married to one-hope he doesn't decide now is the time to read my blog), but are they really going to be necessary in the future?  I mean, besides for sperm, of course.  

Fifty years ago, men were needed to make the money, discipline the kids, coach their teams, drive and make the important decisions.  Today, no one needs a man to do any of those things.
Women can do anything else a man can do.  Some would say women can do it better.

A book I recently read and blogged about on Blogher, called: The Day America Told the Truth by James Patterson and Peter Kim, clearly indicates that women are morally superior to men.   They make better workers and better leaders.  Women make better politicians.

Speaking of which we recently came close to having a woman president and I am convinced that will happen sooner, rather than later.

So, what's left for men to do?  

As the mother of boys, I feel the duty to drum up business for men.  Perhaps a little PR to try to keep the families of tomorrow from downsizing men.  Here is what I have come up with:
  • opening jars of pickles
  • reaching up high on shelves
  • killing spiders
  • sex
  • beating up other men who have hurt a girl
  • providing sperm
OK, so I need a little help here.  In the spirit of ending sexism against any gender, please comment in on more uses for men.  I'd like to think there is a future in society for my boys.

3 comments:

Maggie May March 7, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

you forgot fixing the toilet!
back rubs
foot rubs
head scratches
deep sea fishing :)

Maggie Madison March 8, 2009 at 11:51 AM  

Thank you, how could I forget the backrub/foot rub? Probably because it's been awhile...LOL.

Unknown March 10, 2009 at 11:28 PM  

Don't forget BBQing! Reaching things on the top shelf and lifting heavy things around or moving furniture all around the house for it to end back up in the same spot. Maybe that is just me?
Fixing termite damage and painting the fence too.
Oh, I almost forgot taking out the garbage.