memory lane

>> Tuesday, March 3, 2009

This afternoon I took a trip down memory lane-literally.   I had a conference I needed to be at near where I grew up.  I ended up driving a bit from the hotel to find my favorite lunch place.

 

On my way to lunch, I drove by the hospital where we used to meet my grandma's ambulance when she had her heart attacks.

 

Then I drove through the town where the neighborhood child molester relocated.  I don't know exactly where he lives, but every time I drive through there, I always look at every driver to see if it's him.  I don't know what I will do if I ever come face to face with him.

 

My next turn took me past my old high school, where I remembered getting dumped by this gorgeous guy via a passed note.  Those were the days.

 

I drove by the fancy restaurant where all the popular girls went after prom.  It looks like such a dump now.

 

Next I drove past the huge house of a party I went to once.  I met a guy who, after I made some stupid mistakes, had the decency not to take advantage of me.  Still embarrassing to think about.

 

I also drove by an entrance to the freeway that I used to take only when I went to my country home.  I lived out there for 6 months with a guy.  I still have mixed feelings about whole the thing.

 

Then I drove back to the conference for the rest of the day.

 

After the conference, I took a different way home.  A way I rarely take.  I really had to pay attention so I didn't miss my turns. 

 

I saw a lake I had never seen before.  There were new houses being built near one intersection.  I passed a cool looking little Italian grocery store.  Before I knew it, I was home.  

2 comments:

Sheila March 4, 2009 at 12:52 PM  

Thomas Wolfe said "you can't go home again"
Sam Ewing said “When you finally go back to your old hometown, you find it wasn't the old home you missed but your childhood”
I say I think they are both right..
hugs
xx

Maggie Madison March 4, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

Funny you say that. I just joined on online social community and found so many people from my childhood. THAT has been a much more pleasant trip that this one was.