my old "blankie"

>> Thursday, March 26, 2009

When I was a kid I had what you would call a "lovey".  I called it my blankie.  It was a multi colored blankie, crocheted by my grandmother.  I loved that thing!  

It kept me warm in the winter.   In the summer it actually could be wadded up by my pillow and then I could always find a "cool" spot in it.

I do recall the first time I slept without it.  My parents had just split up and it seemed like my blankie was more important to me than ever.  My dad had picked me up and halfway to his house, about 15 minutes into the ride, I realized my blankie was not in the car.  Bless him, my dad offered to go back for it.  I hesitated, then decided a stuffed animal I already had at his house could do the job.

I learned that night that I was capable of sleeping without my blankie.  I surprised myself.  Prior to that night, I always dreaded the day when I would have to be without that blanket.  I was sure I would NOT be able to sleep.

But sleep I did and other than a bit of sadness when I first awoke and realized it wasn't there, I was proud of myself.  Looking back that was a real turning point in my life.

After that night, I continued to prove to myself again and again that I could do things.  I got all A's in school, I kissed a guy, I smoked a cigarette without coughing, I got a job, I made new friends, and most importantly, I managed to get through my parents' constant court battles.

Now my son has his own "lovey".   It is a loosely stuffed blue dog.  He sleeps with it every night and when I check on him, he is usually clutching it tightly.  I have had to wash it and dry it in the span between nap and night-night.

I try to banish the dog to just the crib, but sometimes the sight of him dragging the dog behind him into the kitchen is too cute and I give in.  I have no plans to try to take the dog away anytime soon.  Instead, I hope he finds his confidence the night a natural situation leaves the dog behind.

I would love to hear about your childhood "lovey".  Please comment back! 

2 comments:

Maggie May March 28, 2009 at 12:36 AM  

I had Tiggy and Ralph- my little spotted lepoard and my bear, and i STILL have them, too!

Maggie Madison March 28, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

I love the names "Tiggy" and "Ralph" for loveys!