vinegar, how do I love thee?

>> Thursday, March 12, 2009

Vinegar is my best friend around the house.  I have bottles of it stashed everywhere.  Good thing it's really not drinkable or people might start to talk.


Here are my favorite uses for vinegar,which I pick up for less than $1.50 for a 1/2 gallon at Wal-Mart.  Of course it's also available by the gallon at grocery stores and still very cheap.

Bathroom
  • spray bottle for urine "over-spray" (not me! my little boys)
  • small spray bottle with essential oil (tea tree or lavender) to eradicate odors
  • in the shower for use as a leave in conditioner or as a final rinse or dab anywhere on the body (i.e. feet if I am worried about odor during the day)
  • small bottle with cotton balls for use a facial toner (beware it really makes eyes sting if it gets in them)

  • used with baking soda for keeping the drain pipes smelling neutral and for slow drains
  • I pour it in my dishwasher "rinse aid" container, it works great, it's a green choice and it's cheaper, too!
  • I clean out the scale and calcium build up in my coffee makers; it always smells interesting when I brew vinegar!
  • I mix anywhere from some to a lot with hot water to make the floors sparkle
Laundry Center
  • I use vinegar as an odor treater for clothes by just pouring it right on the garment, then washing
  • I have had some success in removing sweat stains from clothes if I soak them long enough in vinegar
  • I use vinegar in place of a liquid fabric softener, again it's green and so much cheaper
Basement
  • I spray it or leave small bowls of it out to kill that "basement" smell


There you have it. I love vinegar and I'm not ashamed to admit it's a bit of an obsession.  

Anyone else have any other uses for vinegar?


1 comments:

Sheila March 12, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

I'm a vinegar lover as well.
I buy a large jug of it each week.
I use it mainly in laundry, drains and for windows.